Monday, November 8, 2010

November 8, 2010

(Written 11.6.10 and received 11.8.10)
There is no joy in Mudville today. (Never heard of Mudville? Ronnie; help me out) Not because Mighty Casey has struck out. Much worse. Because Elder X (I really don't know his name) has been sent home from his mission dishonorably. I don't know why, thankfully; but I grieve. His parents are broken hearted, and they grieve. His stake president who met him at the end of his miserable 8 hour bus ride from the Quito, Equador, airport grieves; tomorrow his ward, his friends, his bishop will grieve. In the days to come hundreds of missionaries, members, converts, investigators will grieve. The faith of some will be shaken. But worst of all he grieves not.

I wonder if he will go to church tomorrow, or ever. I wonder if he even got on the bus at the airport. I wonder how a man who bears the name of Christ on his very clothing every day can dishonor his calling, his parents, his God and Savior so badly that he has to be SENT HOME. Those are terrible words to hear or overhear. What a selfish course. No joy. I will remember every time I slip that missionary name tag on my pocket.

In the office the last three days we have overheard the mission secretary, Elder Roundy, one of the finest young men I've ever met, making dozens of long distance calls to government officials, airlines, bus lines, mission presidents, stake presidents, trying to get tickets and people to meet this young elder (I'm not even sure he is still an Elder). Airline tickets home are usually purchased three months in advance. In two days Elder Roundy made the arrangements, but we all bore the burden. The five office elders took him into their apartment last night here, without joy.

Even today as we took the office staff to Appleby's (more later) the mood in the van was somber. I don't know how much they know, but they knew him and worked alongside him and loved him and are deeply affected. They can hardly imagine a worse thing for a missionary. On the wall of the office: RETURN WITH HONOR. It's on their rings, in their journals, on tee shirts, and engraven upon their hearts. There is no Joy in the Chile Santiago Oeste Mision tonight.

In contrast: On Monday, 13 Elders and Sisters from our mission will return to their countries and homes and families and stake presidents WITH HONOR and JOY. They will come and go with their heads high, their hearts full and their memories sweet. As they arrive at our office early Monday morning there will be joy and laughter, backslapping, hugging, expressions of love, exchanged gifts, tears, gratitude, humble pride—well deserved. Even those who have to go home early for health or personal reasons can return with honor.

Before this mission I did not comprehend what a tremendous sacrifice and service these young men and women lay on the altar. They give their hearts, might, minds, and strength. They work ceaseless hours. They thrust in their cycles with ALL their might and lay up a great harvest – for their converts, for themselves, for the kingdom of God. I can't say enough good about them. When I learn which one of them was sent home, my grief will multiply. My joy will be diminished.

I see in my mind's eye the contrasting homecoming scenes. On the split screen of my imagination I see missionaries running to jump into the waiting hugs of their loved ones who share their joy; joy and rejoicing. But on the left the picture is dreary and sad-- no rejoicing here. As I fast forward, on the right I see happy girlfriends, temple marriages, heavenly homes, children raised with the confidence of a lifetime of service, sacrifice and obedience. On the left are only questions. How will he be treated by the girls in his ward and stake? Will he be shunned and rejected? Will they be charitable and try to help him stay on the straight and narrow? Will he? Will he have a mighty change of heart and truly repent as he once invited others to do? Will he Remember the Redeemer as he Repents with Remorse, Restitution, Resolve? Will he make it back to the temple, where he once made sacred covenants? Will he ever know joy? Will he? Will he? Will he?

I don't know. I have seen it both ways, but the success ratio is pitifully small. The road of dishonor is a rough one and few there be who return from their detours. Repentance is always difficult, but I think this is about the toughest. And the saddest. It usually involves serious sin; sometimes, as it seems with Elder X, there is no remorse or desire to repent. That is a slippery slope indeed. The fall is fast and far; the return slow and painful. Sinning without remorse, sinning with the conscious plan to enjoy it now and repent later, are dead end roads. They lead to disaster; usually there is no turning back.

Every time I have participated in a church disciplinary council I have thought “That could have been me if . . . . “ I take these experiences as flashing signs on the highway of life: KEEP RIGHT!! (DON'T) YIELD TO TEMPTATION!! DANGER AHEAD!! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!! STOP!!, before you crash and burn. By careful navigation you can enjoy the journey without fear, without mortal injury or eternal suffering, with a clear conscience. With joy.

I am so grateful for the warning signs along the road of my life. I tell people: I love the law of chastity. It has kept me healthy, guilt-free, confident in the presence of the Lord, joyful in my marriage. I recommend it to everyone. Remember: God is wholeheartedly in favor of sex-- after all He invented it, BUT He is just as strongly against sin, and He made the rules. His children are that they might have joy. There is only one way.

Parents: Please read this and talk about it with your families. I want all my grandchildren and whoever else reads this to understand clearly what I am saying. Wickedness NEVER was happiness. Please keep all of God's commandments, always, all of your life. Please serve Him all of your life by serving others. Please do not dishonor and disappoint your parents, grandparents, bishops, teachers by disobedient choices. Please do not disappoint your Father in Heaven who loves you more than you can imagine. Please do not trample the Savior's blood under your feet. Please RETURN WITH HONOR from your missions and from mortality. I will be there waiting with open arms and a heart full of JOY.

I want to live with you forever in the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. I want to be in the temple with every one of you when you are married. We give new converts a laminated picture of the temple and the words “Tres Veces en Blanco” or 'Three Times in White', and pictures of Baptism, Temple Marriage, and Celestial Kingdom. I want to see all of you tres veces en blanco. Then my joy will be full.

Please.

Will you?

LOVE, GRAMPS

2 comments:

Music Mama said...

I love your comparison of the two situations. We will definitely use this as a Family Home Evening lesson. I think it will be clear and memorable for my kids. Love you!

News from Doug and Delores said...

After serving with the young missionaries and knowing of their goodness, it made me cry to think that one "has fallen." I pray that he may come to understand the need of repentance and go through that process.

I too, loved your comparison of right and wrong. How grateful I am for the gospel plan. The freedom you gain for living it's principles is so wonderful. The choices that are taken from you when you do not is so terrible. I have often wondered why they can't see it for themselves.

Hang in there and continue to do your best... You will be such a blessing to the people of Chile as they watch you live the gospel.

We love you and pray for you. I hope that "joy" will return to you soon! Love, Delores